News from the local food scene
- Taste of the Trail: Try free samples from local food vendors and win local auction items at the Winnipesaukee River Trail Association’s annual Taste of the Trail event on Thursday, Oct. 12, from 5 to 8 p.m. at the Elks Lodge (125 S Main St., Franklin). All proceeds will go toward maintaining and improving the Winnipesaukee River Trail. Tickets are $20 and can be purchased via eventbrite.
- Sip and script: Enjoy a beverage and learn the basics of modern calligraphy on Thursday, Oct. 12, at Pipe Dream Brewing in Londonderry (49 Harvey Road) from 6 to 7:30 p.m. The class includes a beginner’s calligraphy kit and ends with lettering faux pumpkins. Everything is yours to keep. Tickets are $69 and can be purchased on sipandscript.com
- Oktoberfest: Stop by the Sandown Oktoberfest on Saturday, Oct. 14, from noon to 6 p.m. at Sandlot Sports (8 Sandlot Way, Sandown) for food, music and games followed by a bonfire until 10:30 p.m. Happenings include a German bake-off, children’s races and contests, a beer tent and several food trucks including One Happy Clam, Dancing Donuts and Agape Cakes.
- Harvest in Hillsborough: The Hillsborough Community Center holds the town’s second annual harvest festival from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturday, Oct. 14, at Grimes Field (28 Preston St., Hillsborough) with games, food, vendors, local artisans, art projects and prizes. The event is free to attend.
- Windham harvest fest: The harvest festival at Griffin Park (101 Range Road, Windham) on Saturday, Oct. 17, from noon to 4 p.m. begins with a doggie costume parade, which is followed by activities from 1 to 3 p.m., and ending with trick-or-treating until the end of the festival. The Women’s Club will be selling baked goods and other treats, and Capri Pizza will be selling pizza.
- Halloween party: Pipe Dream Brewing in Londonderry (49 Harvey Road) hosts a Halloween costume party on Saturday, Oct. 21, from 6 to 10 p.m. with music spun by a DJ, food and drinks. The winner of the best costume award will win a gift card.