| Covid-19 update | As of May 27 | As of June 6 |
|---|---|---|
| Total cases statewide | 324,373 | 327,358 |
| Total current infections statewide | 4,544 | 3,658 |
| Total deaths statewide | 2,534 | 2,542 |
| New cases | 3,331 (May 21 to May 27) | 2,985 (May 28 to June 6) |
| Current infections: Hillsborough County | 1,257 | 1,593 |
| Current infections: Merrimack County | 403 | 525 |
| Current infections: Rockingham County | 1,063 | 1,330 |
Students march
Students from Nashua North and South high schools will join hundreds of student groups across the country in the March for Our Lives protest, a nationwide event planned for Saturday, June 11, in response to the recent string of shootings throughout the U.S., to raise awareness about gun violence and advocate for gun control legislation. According to a press release from the organizers, the peaceful protest will take place in downtown Nashua, starting at 1 p.m., at The Soldiers and Sailors Monument. The students will then march to Greeley Park, where local high school students and Rep. Laura Telerski will speak about their experiences and opinions surrounding gun violence and gun legislation, starting at 1:45 p.m. March for Our Lives is a national student-led movement formed in 2018 in support of stricter gun control laws following a mass shooting at a high school in Parkland, Florida, that left 17 people dead. See “March For Our Lives Protest in Nashua” on Facebook for updates on the local effort.
Racing history
What was previously known as the North East Motor Sports Museum in Loudon has been officially renamed the New England Racing Museum as of June 2, according to a press release from the Racing History Preservation Group, the nonprofit that owns the institution. The 10,000-square-foot museum features race cars, motorcycles, photographs, artifacts, books, racing helmets, trophies and racing uniforms from throughout the history of motor racing in the New England region. The reason for the name change, the press release said, is to more accurately reflect the museum’s focus, which has become more specific to the six New England states than to the larger Northeast, and to racing than to the broader realm of motor sports, than the museum’s board of directors had originally anticipated when plans for the museum were first drafted more than 12 years ago and when the museum opened its doors in 2017. “You tell me we’re going to see motor sports and I’m not interested,” museum trustee Mike Smeriglio said in the press release in regard to the name change. “If you want to go see racing, I’m on board.” The museum is open on Saturdays and Sundays during the summer, Saturdays during the winter, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., with expanded days and hours when there are racing events at the New Hampshire Motor Speedway. Admission costs $10 and is free for children under age 12. Visit nemsmuseum.com.
Space news
The University of New Hampshire has been selected as one of 14 universities in the U.S. to receive a portion of more than $10.4 million in funding from the National Aeronautics and Space Administration, WMUR reported. The funds are to be used for research and special projects being conducted at the universities in partnership with NASA. In February, UNH announced that a group of researchers and engineers from the university’s Space Science Center had been recruited by NASA to study particles streaming to Earth from the edges of interstellar space as part of NASA’s Interstellar Mapping and Acceleration Probe mission, expected to launch in 2024. According to the UNH website, the mission will further understanding of the heliosphere and how the sun impacts the atmospheric space surrounding the Earth, which may ultimately help to provide better protection for astronauts and satellite technology.
The cane tradition
The Warner Selectmen will award long-time Warnerresident Phil Lord the Boston Post Cane at the United Church of Warner on Saturday, June 25. The tradition was introduced in 1909, when the now defunct Boston Post newspaper presented gold-headed walking canes to many New England towns to award to their oldest residents. Lord, who celebrated his 96th birthday on Feb. 4, will be the 32nd recipient of Warner’s cane. According to a press release from the Warner Historical Society, Warner is one of the last communities to still have its cane and continue the tradition. The cane will be preserved at the Warner Historical Society after the ceremony. The event runs from 2 to 4 p.m., with the main presentation at 2:45 p.m., and is free and open to the public. Visit warnerhistorical.org.
Deceased New Hampshire residents who served in the National Guard or as reservists during their lifetime can now be buried in the New Hampshire Veterans Cemetery in Boscawen. According to NHPR, the cemetery previously only accepted burials for New Hampshire residents who had served on active duty as members of the military. The Executive Council voted unanimously for the change in policy.
Those grieving the loss of a loved one will no longer have to worry about paying road tolls in New Hampshire when they are part of a funeral procession. Gov. Chris Sununu signed the new executive order on June 6 which states that if the lead car in a funeral procession stops at a toll booth and informs the attendant of how many of the following vehicles are in the procession, the attendant will allow those vehicles to pass without having to stop or pay, according to a press release from the Governor’s office in Concord.
The Merrimack Rotary Club is holding an Electronics Reycling Fundraiser on Saturday, June 11, from 8 a.m. to noon at Merrimack Town Hall (6 Baboosic Lake Road in Merrimack), according to a press release. Drive by and pay a donation fee to drop off telephones, cables, video games, speakers, radios, computers, televisions and air conditioners, the release said. See merrimackrotary.org.




















